Are there many combinations better than sweet and spicy? These chicken thighs are a smokey summertime dish that are easy to put together but deliver that delicious 1-2 punch that is hard to forget.
Grilled Sweet and Spicy Mango Chicken with Coconut Rice
6 chicken thighs
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp minced fresh ginger root
2 Tbsp chopped green onion
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
1-2 tsp red pepper flakes, depending on how much heat you like
1/2 tsp Traeger Jamaican Jerk Rub
salt to taste
2 cups uncooked Jasmine rice
2 cups water
1 cube chicken bouillon
1 Tbsp butter
1 can coconut milk
2 Tbsp white sugar
1 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 tsp white sugar
1 1/2 cups cubed fresh mango
Recommended pellets: Apple or Cherry
1. Whisk together all the ingredients for the marinade. Add chicken thighs to bowl and toss to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
2. Start your pellet grill on smoke with the lid open for 4-5 minutes to establish the flame. Then, crank it up to high and let it get nice and hot. Once hot, shake extra marinade off the chicken and place the thighs on the grate and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side.
3. While chicken is cooking, bring the rice, water, butter, and chicken bouillon to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Keep an eye on it, sometimes it takes even less time and no one likes burned rice! Turn off heat, stir in the can of coconut milk and 2 tbsp of sugar and allow to sit until liquid is absorbed.
4. While rice and chicken are cooking, melt butter and sugar in a skillet over medium heat. When the mixture begins to bubble and smell all wonderful, reduce heat and add mango cubes. Cook and stir for a few minutes until mango is tender. (Not sure how to cube a mango? Check out this YouTube video.)
5. To serve, place chicken thighs on a bed of coconut rice. Top with mango.
This recipe is a favorite at our house, especially during the summer. It’s an easy one for impressing guests, as well!